Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Happy Birthday to the senior citizen

I really kind of hate the term "senior citizen" but today I think I fit anyone's criteria and I will take the discount if not the title. My friend, Muriel sent me this little plaque for my birthday.


I really like these words and believe in them wholeheartedly. And whether you are young or old you should believe them too. They are true. I hope, in 30 years, when I am 95, I will still have goals and dreams.

It is hard for me to believe that I am this old. I know I don't feel like I thought I would. I remember being 30 or 35 or 40 or even 50 and seeing people retiring and going on Social Security and Medicare and I really thought things would change and I would be a different person. Sadder, slower. Inside I am the same person I was at 30 or 35 or 50. Maybe happier. Odd, but true. I love all the things I have always loved and maybe appreciate them even more. I am healthy. I wish I looked as good as I did at 30, but when I was 30 I wished I looked as good as I had at 20. I have my teeth (more or less) and I have my sense of humor. Given the choice, I think I'd keep my sense of humor over my teeth. Thank goodness. I'd rather laugh than anything. A couple weeks ago when Muriel was here for a visit we laughed so hard I thought we were both going to fall off the couch onto the floor. I'd try to tell you what we were laughing about, but really, you just had to have been here—but it was related to my teeth—why I stand on one foot when I brush my teeth. See? You had to have been here. I have been sick and I think that evening of laughter was the beginning of being well again.

I have had a nice day. My grandchildren were here for the day and brought me cards and kisses and hugs. I barely left the house and we had leftovers for dinner. Ray has invited friends and family for dinner this weekend for the official celebration. I heard some talk about fresh crab.

Birthdays are good. I think of my parents and how much I was loved, especially my Mom who brought me into this miraculous world. I'm lucky and filled with hope and goals and dreams and love today.

19 comments:

  1. You're my model of what I want to be like when I'm 65. Oh wait -- that's next year. Well, you're still my model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! And thank you for a wonderfully inspiring post -- my birthday is Friday, so I've definitely got these kinds of thoughts on my mind.
    Best,
    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful! You are catching up with me!! I am so happy to hear that Sofia was healthy and got to spend the day with you.

    See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I know exactly what you are saying. I know what my driver's license says is my age, but I don't "feel" that old. Then I look at my aunts in their 80's & 90's and they say the same. They don't act their age either. :) I think it is a matter of mind over matter and I'll take a sense of humor and a joy for life any day. Celebrate well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Terry! Congratulations on your sense of humor, and on your teeth! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:28 AM

    My very best wishes for your birth-day and your birth-year, continued good health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Terry, to a very young 65 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Funny, I think about teeth in relation to aging too, because my parents didn't have their own, and it is milestone of sorts. A am curious about standing on one foot, though - good for balance... Happy Bithday Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday dear friend!!! I know exactly what you mean. In my head and heart I am forever the same age (probably 30) and am surprised by the number at each birthday! I will be joining you in September. 65.

    I made an older woman (hey, she could have been younger than me) laugh so hard with my story of artificial insemination of pumpkins and squash and the related story of "gay" zucchini. Each summer I have to graphically describe artificial pollination to any number of gardeners. I should have a CLASS. Wouldn't that be hilarious.

    At Open House there was a vendor that I thought was so handsome. He would come over and chat with me (to fill the afternoon) and I was like a dopey teenager. At my age. Delightful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missed yesterday but belated good wishes & I'll cross my fingers for you getting fresh crab. I'm right behind you and I never outlive having goals & dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Very Happy Belated Birthday to you Terry!!!!!

    Good to know that there does not appear to be a danger of becoming 'mature and responsible' on some upcoming birthday. It sounds so gloomy. I still feel 30 too. With experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Happy Birthday! I too am almost your age and never thought I'd really get to ever be 60? 61? and now almost 62 YIKES! Where did the time go? There is still too little time and no time for retirement... or cash sadly. Hope this year is your best ever!
    Rooth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, you're just a kid in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Belated Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember in high school I did a speech about the beneficial effects of laughter. It is good for you.

    Happy (belated) Birthday! I can relate to all those things you are saying (although I'm only 42 - but don't feel like it). You're young at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday - welcome to Medicare (for the time being,anyway). May you always feel as young as you look!
    love,
    Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! I want to be just like you when I grow up! (That means I have a lot of work to do in a short time, as I also had a birthday on the 5th). So, wait up for me will you?! A good giggle is priceless, and actually takes years off your biological age...tipping over and breaking a hip while brushing your teeth might be hard to explain, though! :D

    ReplyDelete