Thursday, March 21, 2013

Finished

The red umbrellas piece is finished! I am calling it "red umbrellas" for now, but I may come up with a different name eventually. Here it is:

I'm not sure of the exact size. My guess is about 22 x 35.

Here are some finish details:

This is the back. It does not have a binding. Instead I faced it with black. I used black for the facing, so that if you see a bit of the facing at the edges as it hangs you see black instead of the backing fabric.

Here is the sleeve on the top back. I made it in two sections, with an opening in the center. It seems that for many of our shows recently a gallery hanging system is used and we have needed to string a wire on the back, as well as a hanging rod in the sleeve. It is all very complicated and a little messy, but we find it helpful to have the hanging rod exposed in the center.

It still needs the rod and wire, as well as a label, but the creative part is finished. I hope you found the process interesting.



15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Another wonderful piece done in your impeccable style with your usual technical brilliance. I do love your work. Love, Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the juiciness of the colors and the happiness of the red umbrellas. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and I loved watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:14 AM

    I love watching your process. Thank you for sharing. Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Your work is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very charming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work!!! I love this piece and I especially like your descriptions of the process. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for so many great ideas. I can hardly wait to put them to good use when I start my Tuscan Series.
    Bravo & grazi,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the solidity and permanence of the building that seems as though it has been there forever and will continue to be there for a very long time. In contrast, the chairs and umbrellas are so "of the moment". They look like they are dancing. You better stop your running around and take a quick moment to sit and relax, because before you know it the moment will be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awesome! Thank you for sharing the process with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a really stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have very much enjoyed watching your lovely red umbrella piece come to life, Terry. Thank you for showing us! I am so hoping you might make one more post, about how you accomplish the rod and wire bit. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'll be facing and doing the sleeve today - thanks for the tip of doing it in two pieces. This piece will be in galleries too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tells me I have missed a lot in my absence from the Blogosphere. What a fantastic piece of art!

    I think of you every day as I pass my Joseph bird who still sits jauntily on his little feet and when I put my glass of water on the glass coaster you made before I sit down to practice the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic. Love the colors and the thread work on those chairs is marvelous. I use the double sleeve too and then put a saw tooth hanger in the middle on my wooden slat.
    Then you only need one nail in the wall to hang it. Not sure it would work on really large pieces but fine for the average size wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete