Thursday, August 08, 2013

Smaller

I am still beading and stitching on little bits. I know several of you said you liked this one despite my feeling that it had too much going on.


Will it surprise you when I tell you I cut it up? Yes, I did. It is now two smaller pieces and I think the embroidery and beading, which I think is what you liked, is well-served by what I did. Here are the two new and smaller bits.



I also thought this one could be improved by a little surgery.


The result:



I like having more focus on the stitching and beads. Each will be mounted on a piece of black mat board for framing.

The STASH group took a field trip today to McMinnville, Oregon. We parked on Third street and started at one end at Boersma's fabrics and moved down the street to the Currents Gallery then to the Jack of All Beads bead shop. Ha! I laughed when I found that their web site has been "under construction" since 2008—not too surprising. It was a little chaotic, a little disorganized, but boy, did they have beads! From the bead shop we continued down Third Street to Bistro Maison for lunch. Beautiful French restaurant. We ate in the garden and it was incredible. Gerrie took this photo across the table, of Reva and Suzy, which really captured the spirit of the day. I came home quite relaxed and happy, with a few new treasures. Beads and a yard of a dark taupe solid that I have need of. McMinnville treated us well.




8 comments:

  1. As usual, your decision to cut made a good thing even better. These small pieces are treasures. I am looking forward to your next beaded pieces. In fact to any of your work. I like your spirit of adventure.

    That was a lovely place to lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you're right! :). They're little treasures and I hope you show them hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It really worked to downsize these - good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the editing. I think you are succeeding with make the beads and embroidery an integral part of the design rather than stuff stuck on for the sake of embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great cropped down a little!

    I'll have to take a trip to McMinnville for the bead shop. There was a fabric store downtown. I wonder if it is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say? Less IS more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh, the fabric store is definitely still there.

    All those crops, Terry, result in much more dramatic pieces. I don't know how small you're gonna go, but let me know if you want to borrow my microscope. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE HOW YOU CHANGED IT! I WANTED TO SUGGEST THAT BUT....YOU GOTA DO YOUR OWN THING RIGHT?

    ReplyDelete