Sunday, May 04, 2014

Digital Drawing Day - vegetable



Alas, it is just me today. And while the subject matter is fairly uninspired, it posed an interesting challenge to try to create the complex texture of the orange cauliflower. It was a multi-layered exercise and worked out actually better than I might have guessed.  

Cauliflower is a homely sort of vegetable and, while it is quite acceptable to me, it has never been a favorite—until I learned to toss it in olive oil, sprinkle liberally with minced garlic, salt, and pepper and roast in a hot oven until brown and crispy on the edges. Delicious!  Last week I found this orange cauliflower at my market and was drawn to the beautiful color. The taste was no different from the anemic white variety, but the color almost made me believe it was a little richer!

iPad, Sketch Club app, New Trent Arcadia stylus

Next challenge: May flowers

3 comments:

  1. I like the way the 'dots' from the cauli are echoed in the tabletop.
    I didn't comment on the crow, but I really liked the sparkle around him.
    Thanks for continuing to share.
    Sandy
    And I didn't know you could get orange cauli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like flowers! A spring bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning to work in layers but am surely not up to your level. This is great. Not only the colors and the execution but also it made me hungry to try this veggie. Surely it has loads of vitamins and nutrients in such lovely color!

    ReplyDelete