Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Home Front

The colors of these snapdragons makes me happy. Every time I pass the door to the deck I have to stop and look at them again.  Another happy thing are the baby birds in a tiny nest hidden away in a hanging basket on the studio porch. 

The remodeling job is coming along. At the end of the day today the bedroom had an eery, blue glow, due to the blue tarp covering the gaping hole where the new window will go. 

The dark patch on the wall to the left is the freshly mudded drywall where the little window was.  I'm going to love one big window instead of two little windows.  The closet is taking shape as well.

On the left we added some space that was previously a small closet that opened into the hallway. Now it is one bigger closet with three doors instead of one.

Floor started going down as well. Here,s the hallway.

At the end of the hall Sheetrock where the hall closet door was. It is noisy and dusty, but will be well worth it. Sofia and Iescaped to the studio today where we made a puppet. Sofia did all the cutting and sewing and drew the face on the puppet. I continue to be amazed by how quickly she is getting all this. 

We are homebodies this summer and it feels good. I'm between projects in the studio, but finishing up sleeves and bags and hanging apparatus for a couple things going to shows and deciding what to do next. I will have painting and organizing to do when the construction is finished so I'm thinking about that as well.

Remember that my word for this year was "yellow"?  The "new and improved" bedroom will be yellow.  Can't wait to wake up in a yellow room. Just seems like a good way to start the day. 

2 comments:

  1. That whole "it will all be worth it" thing is what I keep telling myself. It WILL be great!

    My mother taught me to sew when I was about 8 years old. I loved it. Still love it today (even though I don't do as much). I sewed all through high school, and when it came time to take Home Ec, the teacher accused me of having my mother do the top-stitching. Pfft. She taught me well. I can still remember the way she carefully taught me to think before cutting (so stripes would match up at the seams), the importance of pressing the seams, learning the feel of the pedal, and finally the finished product. Those were some good days. She's 84 now, has increasing dementia, but she still sews and is teaching her great grandkids to sew, too. You're leaving something with Sophia that can't be replaced. She's one lucky (and talented) little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baby birds and momma and papa birds whose only concern is getting those little ones raised and out of the nest. What kind are they?
    I think you are having the kind of summer I like to have. :-)

    ReplyDelete