Sunday, December 06, 2015

A dud

Today's experiment is a dud. Still playing around with the Decolourant color remover, I painted some of it onto a carved wooden printing block I have, then stamped it onto my fabric. Here's the block.

Now, the way Decolourant works, is that the bleaching process is activated by heat, so I use my heat gun on it. Usually you can see as the product dries to a white powdery stuff, and under it you can see the fabric becoming lighter and lighter. With mine, today I saw it turning darker under the dried product. That's odd.

Then I washed the Decolourant out and most of the image completely washed away, leaving just a bit of the dark parts.

 

I added a little watercolor pencil to see if I could make it a little more interesting, but it didn't help in the least. Oh well.

My niece was here for a short visit and we went to the Portland Art Museum, so she could see the Paul Allen Collection exhibit. This was my third viewing of this exhibit, but I enjoyed it just as much as the first and second. There was cute photo booth there where you could inhabit the setting of a painting called "Brother and Sister" by Portland artist, Katherine Ace. So now we have a souvenir of the day.

You can see the real painting here.

 

6 comments:

  1. What a fun idea to inhabit a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is pretty cool....the painting souvenir. You might consider contacting the company and see if they can help you figure out what is going on with the decoulourant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the deColourant on another piece (or pieces) of different fabrics, they all react differently. Also, try an iron vs. the heat gun. Heat gun might be too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used both iron and heat gun. I get better, more consistent results with the heat gun. The iron also turned it dark on this fabric.

      Delete
  4. Ha, that is odd how it darkened. I've never seen that. I use it but I use my iron on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:19 PM

    I think the important thing is the steam that is used with the iron. Since a heat gun doesn't produce steam, that might be the problem.

    ReplyDelete